Thursday, July 19, 2012

GUEST POST: Bentley's Mammie


Laura has asked me to submit a guest blog.  Let me introduce myself.  I am Laura’s Mom and Bentley’s Mammie…a name that Bentley has chosen to call me!  It has been a great life being Mom to Laura and Mammie to Bentley……let’s see did I say that right….just checking to make sure I didn’t mix it up.  It would be just awful if I said I was Laura’s Mammie…lol  God has truly blessed me! 


I was so glad I gave in and went!   I was going to stay home and watch Bentley while Laura attended the Home School convention However, deciding to go brought much laughter and happiness along with some serious discussions into the next 2 days of my life!  Laura and I have a very unique relationship.  We can be talking about the most serious stuff and in a moment’s notice be laughing hysterically.  A lot of times we get to share those hilarious moments because we have the same sense of humor and can tell why the other one thinks something is funny.  One mood never seems to subtract from the other…… a serious moment never seems to prevent us from inserting a hilarious launch of laughter.  And, as quick as we enter a hilarious moment we can be brought back to seriousness quite quickly.    This all being said, makes for a very eventful trip wherever we go!

After circling and circling the motel we finally found where we were supposed to park.  At one point I suggested we drive up a flight of stairs because there did not seem to be any other way to get where we needed to go.  Of course, that was not an option.  GPS was not helping us at all!  It was however assisting Dad to follow us on google latitude and as soon as we pulled into a parking space….ring ring ring…..voice on other end….” I wondered when you were gonna land”.  Dear Hubby had been following and seeing that we were going around and around our motel.  We thought that was very funny!!


The longer I live the more I become a fan of homeschooling.  Public schools are becoming less and less of an option.  As I attended the evening session Thursday night, I was very impressed with the speakers and how passionate they were about making sure their kids got an education including the guidelines written for us in God’s Word!  This world has worked ferociously  trying to obliterate anything “Christian” from our education system.  Parents now have to fight to be able to retain what they can and reclaim what they have lost.  It is the right of every American to be able to teach their children how to live using the Bible as a textbook!




Friday, was a great day for Mammie and Bentley.  I took him to the KidSpace Museum and Carlos went too, and Bentley and I greatly enjoyed him being with us. 

We went to a children’s play area at first and Bentley had a lot of fun there using hands on displays of all kinds.  He got to finger paint, then play with magnets of all kinds, climbed up high on a rock climbing exhibit, painted on a wall, and much more. 


We had lunch and got some of our energy back, then went outside to the playground.  He had so much fun and Carlos treated us to ice cream.  Yum Yum!

I got Bentley a book on bugs and he chose to get a magnifier just like Mammie’s!  Only he was disappointed it did not have a string and was black and not clear.  (I wear a magnifier around my neck because I am legally blind)  Bentley has been very intrigued with this since being an infant.









It was getting very warm and humid so we decided to go back to the convention center.   It would soon be time to start for home.  Laura and Granna finished up at the exhibition center and soon we would be on our way.  It was wonderful that Granna had suggested this convention to Laura and that she was able to go with her to the convention.  She is a retired 3rd grade teacher and knows first hand of the Public School’s agenda.  She was excited to be a part of Bentley’s education in the planning stages.  It was great to be able to spend time once again with Granna and Carlos!


Laura had this far out idea that we were gonna stop at Chick Fil A.  Not so far out, you say?  Well it was…..believe me.  She came all prepared.  She had read online that if you dressed as a cow, Chick Fil A would give you a free entree’ or meal.  She really was expecting me to dress as a cow!  I didn't bring anything black or white with me, I told her.  She would not take no for an answer, “I’ll share” she said.  We FINALLY found Chick Fil A and dressed up in their parking lot.  We had previously called Dad to ask for directions because GPS had a major attitude once again.  He had given us directions.  So, while we were in the parking lot donning our black and white paper costumes, he called to see if we had found it ok.  “What are you doing?” he asked.  I said we are in the parking lot dressing up as cows!!  I will never forget his roar of laughter as long as I live!!!  Laura, you did it again!!  You got me to do something I never thought I would do!













We didn’t get home ‘til almost one in the AM but we had a blast.  I was so glad that I went.  The traffic could have been a little less and I would have been fine with that.  But we had the Name of Jesus to call on and we didn’t hesitate to use it!  He got us there and back with no problem.  Why do we even have to worry…….I am trying to do better with that….I really am, Laura!  Lol  Thank you God for a wonderful time!


Number One Grandson right here!!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! The comments on this page are moderated.